Tuesday, September 23, 2008

del and thel

One big difference between local Moroccan and classical Arabic is that thel is not a letter. I didn't realize that was a big deal until all these words I knew in the dialect I now have to substitute a "th" sound in the place of the "d." I guess Moroccans just got tired of dotting things :) I feel a little silly when I say familiar words with the new sound.

This week we read about libertarianism. When my teacher (jokingly) called a classmate a terrorist, I realized maybe he doesn't take so fondly to the libertarian philosophy. Anyway, tonight I feel good about class as opposed to defeated!!!! Yay!!!! I asked a good question that pointed to a weakness in the argument we were reading, I answered a question, and my professor said, "You're right" in response. I realized I was in champion mode, probably blushing with glee at the feeling of success, though and had to refocus to hear the rest of his explanation.

Speaking of champions, by far the most important thing that I should be writing about, although I know very little, is that my fried in Morocco had her baby! And I believe his name is the arabic word for champion, at least that's what the daddy has been calling him. I'm thrilled for them! And excited about being a psuedo-aunt!!!

Yay for new life!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jed Carosaari said...

Congratulations :-)

And "the" and "tha" - also in Fousha, but not Dareeja :-(

I geuss that makes kilmet theletha...

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home