Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Awkward Moments

Making new friends when you move to a place where everyone already has their friends is a little bit of a challenge. Mostly, I haven't cared. I'll make friends later when I move and just hang out with my family now. Besides, I hardly feel like I really fit in to rural culture (although I probably do and am just in denial). But, tonight, I recklessly gave it a try. I was leaving the youth rally, having watched the nursery, when a guy about my age asked if I was going out to dinner with everyone. In a very strange conversation I think I got invited to go. So I went. He had already ordered his food when I arrived, and since it was my first time to eat at Quizno's since being back I felt like I needed to read the entire menu. Once I decided, about 4 people had gotten in front of me. I was splitting a group in half, so I left the line and stood awkwardly at the table where my new "friend" was. There wasn't an extra chair, so I made small talk and finally left to come home. Now, I'm writing about this rather embarassing mix up.

And Jeanine - I'm so glad we so easily became friends!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miskeena!

I had sort of an awkward moment when I was home this summer. I visited the church that...I guess is my home church now. When people turned to do the ritualistic 60-second hand-shaking ceremony, I told people my name and tried to introduce myself. I think people didn’t know what to do when I actually supplied my name. They sort of had a stunned look on their face and then proceeded to shake as many other hands as possible in the remainder of the minute.

After that, I realized that some parts of life are just a formality. (But I’m still going to introduce myself and let folks decide how they’ll respond.)

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jeanine said...

I seem to be having less and less awkward moments now that I am getting used to life here in N.A. but I think that having a bad ear seems to contribute to enough awkward moments to make up for it. Tonight when DRH was making funny jokes during the movie, he was sitting on my deaf side... How embarrassing is it to ask someone to make the funny comment three times in a row after the moment is gone... a total kiljoy. Sorry drh.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Jed Carosaari said...

Hey- TP is out there now! Congratulations! But perhaps you'll have more luck elsewhere?

10:07 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

A.M, I think that e-harmony should pay you a commission! :)

I'm with you in those awkward moments. But I felt right at home when asking my "Eastern" student's mom to serve on the PTO. She responded with a halfway yes, and I knew just what to do: ask again. :) Yay for security.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm too lazy to login. i will be your regular ghost writer...

don't feel bad... you're just a new immigrant... like so many others... i bet you'll find good and kind international friends. Hope you'll find some good, kind "local" friends too... love you mare

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home