Thursday, May 18, 2006

An entry without a picture

So, in class last week I gave my kids a writing test. One student, who is very energetic and excited about life, kept asking me questions. I was busy working at my desk and would just answer, "mmhmm" or "no" without paying much attention. After what seemed like 10 sporadic questions about his paper he says, "Miss Parrish, do you want to get married?" I looked up shocked, although this is not a shocking question for one my students to ask. We have had multiple conversations in class about my marital status and views simply because they're Moroccan and concerned that I'm not married. Really, he just caught me off guard. The whole class looked up and saw my shocked expression. I answered, "Well, yes." He was satisfied with that and was ready to work again, but apparently my face turned bright red giving the rest of the class a good chance to giggle and tease me.

This week, after repeated interruptions, I taped a piece of paper to his desk and asked him to write all non-relevant questions down. The questions were something like this:
1. Can we have science before reading today?
2. Can we play soccer at recess?
Please answer in a red pen.
3. What do you want in a husband?
4. Do we have to have a lot of homework tonight?

Ha! I answered them all, but not in red pen. Life is never dull in the 5th grade!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jed Carosaari said...

So...many comments...so little space...

So...you planning on posting *all* the answers here?

4:45 PM  
Blogger ST said...

Isn't it nice to have such concerned people in your life? There many good things about this culture, and the strong sense of commitment to family is one of them. I wonder what 11 year olds in America think about marriage these days. Nice postings!

3:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA

4:27 PM  
Blogger CrazyScienceTeacher said...

Boy, at least they call you 'Miss' Parrish! All mine know I'm not married & still cal me Mrs. H....AND they're all in 8th grade! Guess that's American education for ya! hm.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home